Sunday, August 28, 2005

Backtrolling for walleye

Backtrolling is something that I really enjoy. Backtrolling will allow you to present your bait right in front of the walleye's nose. In cold front conditions this is essential. What you're trying to do is stay on aparticular depth, or contour, where it looks like the walleye are holding. Ifit's very windy, I use my kicker motor and back into the wind along current breaks. This slows down the bait and gives the walleye plenty of opportunity to decide if it is something they would like to eat.If I hook a fish on an inside turn, I quickly throw out a marker buoy and as soon as I am done landing that fish, I will move right back to that spot. The thing to remember is if you catch one active walleye in a spot, there are probably a dozen or so walleye in that same spot.When the particular structure is shallow don't hesitate to use the slip bobber method. Attach a 1/8-ounce Lindy Max Gap jig with a piece of plastic Munchie and a minnow to your slip bobber rigand allow the waves and wind to do the vertical jigging for you. If those walleye are biting short, attach a stinger hook to your jig.

No comments: