Monday, June 26, 2006

Walleye fishing Minnesota

"Plastic worms, weedless jigs or regular mushroom jigs ripped through the weeds with Fireline are the best tactics for catching these weed walleyes no matter what body of water you are fishing on."
A quality graph is critical for finding these fish and the structures they relate to. I'll position myself on a portion of the lake that contains a sandbar, rockpile or flat with access to deep water, and then use my Lowrance to pinpoint their location along the dropoff.
Tightly schooled walleyes can be caught with a soft-plastic-tipped jig," "Boat control is critical, especially when jigging, so keep on top of them even if they move. If walleyes are scattered, control drift or back troll a Roach Rig tipped with live bait along the edge of the breakline. If walleyes are suspended, lengthen the leader of your Roach Rig by 8 to 12 feet and use a juicy air-injected crawler.
spinner-rigged a Houdini worm on a two-hook crawler harness because the fish seemed to like the extra action put out by its fat little tail. I like to tie my own rigs, and use 8- to 10-pound fluorocarbon line. Be sure to space the hooks 2 1/2 inches apart. My favorite spinner color in these lakes is gold, and I've had great luck lately with a hammered hatchet blade. I run the spinner so the bottom edge is at the plastic crawler, keeping the hook free for a good hookset. Use a ball-bearing swivel to attach the 4- to 5-foot leader to your line."
I like to pull leeches or crawlers on spinners starting in 8 to 16 feet and going out from there depending on the weed edge.

No comments: